Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Old Girl

I'm really learning to appreciate proper care for your body after exercising it. Well, at least for a speedier recovery. It kind of sucks to be older now and to have permanent injuries. My right hamstring is all messed up, and it's very high maintenance right now. I injured it somehow last year when I started the cruise ship contract totally out of shape, it finally healed, and then the Rockettes had to throw a right "jump split" into one of the dances. I thought they were kidding at first, but I should have known better. For those who aren't familiar with the terminology, a "jump split" is when you jump up in the air in the splits, and then you allow gravity to work its course while you remain in that split until you meet with the floor. It's not pleasant. But I digress. I was trying to introduce you to the pictures of our physical therapy room, shown below, where we are all congregating in the morning before rehearsal to prepare for the day of dancing ahead. We are equipped with tons of tape of various kinds, blister treatment/prevention, icing, moist heat, ultrasound for deep heating, stretching, and probably some other stuff, too. I love this place. It's tucked in the back corner of our lunch room, which you can see behind me in the picture below. The real point of the picture is not the lunchroom, however, but my buffness. Our opening number requires that we coordinate our dancing with a prop, which happens to be a large tinseled wreath, and dancing with these wreaths is building our upper body strength quickly. Check me out! my shoulders are unbelievable. Well, they will be by the end of the run, I'm sure. The truth is that I was wrapped with ice and saran wrap for the drive home so my arms wouldn't be so sore in the morning. I'm telling you, it looks ridiculous, it smashes my chest together, and body heat melts the ice into a drippy mess, but it works!!!!

No comments: