Saturday, October 13, 2007

Rockette Reality Check

So, today was my first day of rehearsals as a Rockette., and I have the sore body and humble spirit to prove it. We started off at 10AM in this strip mall that the "Christmas Across America" tour seems to have purchased to house their rehearsal spaces, costumes pieces, and set building for show preparation. Each city has their own rehearsal spaces inside an old mall store. I'm a little bummed I can't tell which store was the previous occupant of the Nashville rehearsal stage. But, it turns out to be a pretty good space with a good floor and mirrors and such. I am here three days before most of the 18 girls in our cast. There are 6 new girls to the cast this year, and we are all learning some things together before our other castmates arrive. Today made me realize I was still underprepared, despite my attempt at getting into "Rockette shape". And by that I don't mean losing weight or achieving a specific level of sinewiness. I mean more like, being able to dance in high heels for hours on end without tearing your feet apart, or being able to make kick after kick after kick look easy whether standing in place, sitting on a hedge, or travelling across the stage. Some sort of tendon on the inside of my knee is terribly sore from "flicking" my legs in and out quickly at all different heights, my hips are stiff (though certainly less than they would have been had I not taken that ice bath directly after rehearsal), my wrists are sore from the constant flexing of my hands, and my back is all knotted up from holding my arms and upper body in so many terrifically awkward positions. I achieved a blister on my left heel within the first hour of rehearsal, and managed to split the bottom of my left toe open before lunch. The great thing is that they have physical therapists on hand to treat our every ailment from hurt hamstrings, ankles, backs, hips, feet or what have you. I got a good taping job during lunch and made it through the rest of the day without my feet giving me too much trouble. Instead, it was my lack of strength and stamina that got me. Wouldn't you know it. Though I felt a little discouraged about my own personal overall performance today, as a group we did pretty well. They let us finish about 45 minutes early, which they told us never to expect again, but for which we were extremely grateful . I am really hoping that I find my strength as the days go on, rather than find that I grow increasingly weaker and injury prone. As luck would have it, I get tomorrow off to recuperate and rehearse on my own, and then I go back for rehearsal again on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is an orientation with the rest of our cast, and then it's on like Donkey Kong. I just hope I can make it through these next few weeks. I'll put some less disgusting pictures on here at some point, I'm sure.

No comments: